Pax et bonum. Greetings of peace from the General Office of JPIC in Rome.
Attached find an invitation letter from our Minister General Br. Mauro Jöhri calling for an emergency meeting on the refugee crisis in Europe, October 15-17, in Frascati, Rome. We request you kindly to submit the name of the friar you have designated to represent your circumscription at this meeting by September 30th, 2015. Given this call by the Minister General for action to help refugees, our meeting will focus on the following themes:
- Understanding the real situation of refugee crisis in Europe
- Exploring possible short and long term responses to the crisis, including supporting projects already started by our friars for the care of migrants (spiritual, psychological, social, education, health, etc.)
- Reflecting on the call of the Holy Father to welcome refugees in our houses.
- Sensitizing and forming our brothers on the issue of migration and initiating a discussion on the need to change our mentality on migration and refugee issues.
- Sensitizing people in our ministries such as parishes and schools.
Proposed Agenda, October 16-17
- Opening remarks - Br. Mauro, Minister General OFM Cap
- Refugee crisis in Europe- Suzanna Tkalec, Humanitarian Director, Caritas Internationalis
- The church response to the refugee crisis- Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People
- Testimonials from friars currently working with migrants and refugees
- Proposals for our Capuchin Response- Moderated by JPIC OFM Cap
- Group discussions on set questions
- Plenary session
- Planning, Recommendations and conclusion – Br. Raffaele della Torre
You are most welcome to this meeting, we hope to hear from you soon.
Br. Benedict Ayodi
JPIC OFM Cap