This year’s anniversary was particularly solemn; given it was the closure of the 800th Anniversary of the Pardon of Assisi. This jubilee was inaugurated on August 2, 2016, by Gualtiero Cardinal BASSETTI and was enhanced by Pope Francis’ private pilgrimage to the Porziuncola two days later, on August 4, 2016. The solemn closing celebration for the Jubilee of Pardon took place at 11:00 a.m. on August 2, 2017, and was presided over by His Eminence Pietro Cardinal PAROLIN, His Holiness’ Secretary of State.
Another peculiarity of this year, highlighting the bonds between the Franciscan Family, was a feast created by the ingenious intuition of our common founder, Francis of Assisi. This was the Triduum of Preparation (July 29-31) which was preached by the Ministers General of the three Franciscan Orders. (The Friars Minor Capuchin were represented by their Vicar General.) This shared event was placed in perfect continuity along the path that had been undertaken up to that point. The path culminated with the “Generalissimo” Chapter that the Franciscan families celebrated together.
The program scheduled for August 1 was intensive:
- At 11:00 a.m. there was Mass presided over by Friar Michael A. Perry, the Minister General of the Friars Minor. It was followed by the Procession of the “Opening of Forgiveness” (so-called because from that moment, i.e. from noon on August 1 until midnight on August 2, the Plenary Indulgence which is granted to the Porziuncola every day, was extended to all the parish churches around the world, and to all Franciscan churches;
- In the afternoon, at the end of the pilgrimage of the Diocese of Assisi, there was Evening Prayer I, presided over by the Most Reverend Domenico SORRENTINO, Archbishop of Assisi-Nocera Umbra-Gualdo Tadino, in Italy.
- Incense was offered by the mayor of Assisi, Stefania PROIETTI;
- There was an evening prayer vigil with a candlelight procession led by the Most Reverend José Rodríguez CARBALLO, OFM, Secretary of the Congregation of Institutes of Consecrated Life.
August 2 once again saw the arrival of thousands of young people from the 37th Franciscan March “One Step Beyond”. They met at the Porziuncola to rejoice in the Father’s Mercy. Finally, the Vatican Gendarmerie Band performed a concert in the evening followed by a fireworks show in the piazza of the Porziuncola.
From the Communication Offices of the OFM, OFM Conv., and OFM Cap.
- Ottavo centenario del Perdono di Assisi. Nella città di San Francesco si conclude il Giubileo
- 2017.08.02 - Chiusura VIII Centenario del Perdono: omelia Card. Parolin
- 2017.08.02 - Perdono di Assisi 2017: Secondi Vespri in cappella papale
- 2017.08.01. - Perdono di Assisi 2017: Veglia
- 2017.08.01. - Primi Vespri del Perdono
- 2017.08.01. - Apertura del Perdono: omelia del Ministro generale OFM, fr Michael Perry
- 2017.07.31. - Triduo del Perdono: 3^ meditazione, di fr. Michael Perry Min. gen. OFM
- 2017.07.30. - Triduo del Perdono: 2^ meditazione, di fr. Štefan Kožuh Vic. Gen. OFMCap
- 2017.07.29. - Triduo del Perdono: 1^ meditazione, di fr. Marco Tasca Min. gen. OFM Conv
- Holy Mass for Closing of 800th Jubilee Anniversary of the Pardon of Assisi 2 August 2017
Testi in italiano
- TESTIMONI DEL SOVRABBONDANTE AMORE DI DIO, 1^ Meditazione: p. Marco Tasca OFMConv
- DACCI UNO SGUARDO DI MISERICORDIA, 2^ Meditazione: p. Štefan Kožuh OFMCap
- MISERICORDIA ATTEGGIAMENTO UNIVERSALE, 3^ meditazione del triduo: p. Michael Perry OFM
- APERTURA DELLA FESTA DEL PERDONO, Omelia del Ministro generale, p. Michael Perry OFM
- L’INDULGENZA: UNA FESTA DELLA MISERICORDIA, Dono per la guarigione dell’anima
- INFINITA MISERICORDIA IN UNA “PICCOLA PORZIONE”, Omelia del Card. Parolin alla Porziuncola
- PAROLIN E BASSETTI: IL PERDONO DI ASSISI, DONO PER I POVERI, Chiusura del Giubileo della Porziuncola